Contact | Site Map
| Wednesday, 20 dEurope/Berlin September dEurope/Berlin 2017

Información Turística de Agaete

Places of cultural interest

The Old Town:

The construction of the primitive church of la Concepcion around 1515 was the element that acted as a guide for the construction of the first streets and the main square of the village, absorbing in its surroundings all the properties. The growth of population took place in the 19th century with the economic development of the municipality.

Traditional Architecture of the 19th Century:

In this style it is the current Cultural Centre of the Village, which is an old large house in typical Canarian style. The building, built in the 19th century, belonged to the family Manrique de Lara. The rooms are disposed around an interior patio totally joined on the upper floor by a built wooden corridor which is sustained on some columns that start up directly from the floor.

Another example of this type of house, which belonged to the family de Armas, is the current building of the Town Hall. This property conserves some elements of prominent architectural interest, as the interior patio around which, the different rooms are distributed. It follows the style of the Canarian traditional architecture.

Ecclesiastical Patrimony:

Church of La Concepción: The current temple dates back to 1874, the date when the Bishop Urquinaona placed the first stone, replacing the primitive destroyed construction in June 28th, 1874 due to a devastating fire. The characteristics of this sanctuary are summed up in its high proportions, its eclectic character, in the distribution of its facade in three streets, as well as in the sobriety and monumentality of its interior distributed in three parts, the central part is the widest one. All the elements are made out of red stone, which contrast with the white colour of the adornments.

Church of Las Nieves: The construction of the chapel of Las Nieves in Agaete was concluded in the second half of the 16th century by Antón Cerezo. This construction is located in Las Nieves’ Port, constituting a space in whose surroundings, the houses of fishermen were built, taking this hermitage as a main axis. An enlargement of this church was made by Mr. Cristóbal García del Castillo in the 18th century and the towers are works of the 19th century, carried out in the time of the churchwarden Antonio de Armas. In its inside there is a Flemish triptych from the 16th century of great artistic value, the Triptych to the Virgin of Las Nieves.

Hermitage of San Sebastian: Its construction, whose patron was the Captain Alonso Imperial, took place in the second half of the 17th century. The location of the hermitage, at the entrance of the municipality, does not respond to an arbitrary feeling. As Saint, He is worshipped as the protector against pests, therefore it was common to locate these hermitages at the entrance of the municipalities in the Canaries. Its construction is linked with the Muslim style evident in the masonry walls and roof with three slopes and in the decoration of its wooden coffer.

Church of San Pedro:
San Pedro’s foundation is relatively recent. San Pedro’s Apostle Parish, in the Valley, was founded March 19th, 1943 by the Bishop of the Canary Islands, Doctor Pildaín and Zapiain. The neighbourhoods of: El Hornillo. Tamadaba, El Sao, Berrazales, Vecindad de Enfrente, Casas del Camino and San Pedro make up this parish.

Hermitage of El Hornillo: Built in the 20th century and whose main devotion is the Virgin of Teresita, received a prize of embellishment in the year 1981, by the Tourist Board of Gran Canaria.
Historical Patrimony:

Triptych of The Virgin Las Nieves: This Triptych was commanded to be brought from Flanders by Antonio Cerezo and Mrs. Sancha Díaz de Zurita in the 16th century. It consists of a central panel under the invocation of Las Nieves’ Virgin, and two lateral panels with San Antonio’s Abbot patronage and San Francisco from Assisi. Two oval lockets complete the panels, with the portraits of the donors. These last parts were disrupted presumably in the second half of the 19th century. For analytical and pictorial qualities this piece constitutes one of the most outstanding artistic samples in the archipelago. It is attributed to the Flemish painter Joos Van Cleve.

Sculpture of San Sebastian: San Sebastian’s image is located in its homonymous hermitage, construction of the 17th century, located at the entrance of the municipality. This sculptural piece constitutes one of the most important works of religious images in the Village. This work is attributed to the sculptor and architect José Luján Pérez, a remarkable artist, born in the neighbouring municipality of Santa Mª de Guía in the 19th century. Its dimensions are reduced and proportionate. San Sebastian is considered to be the protector against plagues.

Fort House: To speed up the conquest of Gran Canaria, the governor Pedro de Vera ordered the creation of a second action front in the Northwest area of Gran Canaria, being located in Agaete. In this place, he made in September of 1481 a fort over some aboriginal foundations, known as “Fort House”. As he finished his commitment, he left Alonso Fernández de Lugo as the captain of the Fort. He built near the same one the first sugar refinery that later on, he had to sell to finance the expenses of the conquest of Tenerife. Once the conquest of Gran Canaria was concluded, he was the first governor of the place. This edification is located between Las Nieves’ Port and Agaete.

Archaeological Patrimony:

A long list of Pre – Hispanic archaeological locations forms the rich patrimony in the Village of Agaete. Among these, we can find examples of all the cultural manifestations of the primitive inhabitants of Gran Canaria: some of them show how life was in stone homes, as well as in caves, not only the natural ones but also the artificial ones; the Village has one of the most important aboriginal cemeteries on the island, in which we can observe 645 graves of round structures, there are of different types and variable dimensions. This site has been declared a Historical and Artistic Monument and will also become an Archaeological Park in the future. Another important location was the one of Las Nieves’ site, today destroyed, and of which we find a reproduction in the area of Las Nieves’ Port (Avenue Alcalde José de Armas).
The second nucleus of archaeological interest is found in the Rock of Guayedra and in the Valley, where the different models of settlement have been found: settlements of houses of dried stones and natural caves, caves used as graves and round grave structures. An example of the dried stony- houses is reproduced in the recreational complex La Palmita. Other places of great interest are the caves in El Juncal and El Moro, this last one with ancient paintings, or the ones in Visvique, which are antique barns dug in the rocks.
Museums Patrimony:

Museum of La Rama:
This is a little museum where the visitors are shown what the festivity of La Rama (the Branch) consists of: history, tradition, music, images of it, and elements which are part of this popular festivity. At the end of it you can also appreciate the religious sense of this Festivity in honour of Our Virgin of Las Nieves. It will be opened shortly.
Cultural Complex Finger of God: Monument dedicated to the symbol and tourist logo in the municipality, and in which important artistic samples of the famous painter from Agaete Pepe Dámaso, can be found. The building will also represent the Finger of God itself as it will have its antique form on its outside. It is located between the Sports Center and the antique monument Fort House. It will be opened shortly.




© 2017 Ayuntamiento de Agaete |
Legal note | Privacy policy | General conditions